Thursday, May 24, 2012

Who Can Bring a Charge Against Yahweh?


Yahweh, Father God, Lord Almighty, King of Glory,

You are a Mighty King, the Lord of hosts, and the Hope of all nations. You reign from Your majestic throne in Your holy temple, exalted high above the heavens and the earth. Your divine nature and eternal power are clearly seen in Your creation, leaving men who deny, distort and suppress Your truth without excuse.

Who can bring a charge against You? You are holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty. The whole earth is filled with Your glory. You are just and righteous. In You, no darkness dwells. When You act, no one can withstand Your power. Your purposes cannot be thwarted. Your promises never fail. Your unfailing Word endures forever. You are glorious, immutable, incorruptible invincible, God only wise. You are Yahweh.

What is man that You are mindful of him? We are sinful creatures from birth, dead in our transgressions and blind to the light of Your glory and truth. One condemned corpse measures his decay by the rotting corpse next to him. Dead in sin, both lie in the grave, eternally condemned. One man whimpers, “I am innocent.” He knows otherwise.

The rich man and poor man hunger alike, but neither can satisfy the cravings of his darkened soul. One feeds the carnal cries of his flesh, growing ever more desperate as his appetite never stops howling for more. Who can silence the soul of sinful man?

The politician boasts, “I can save us!” The religious man shrugs, “I am good and my works prove it.” The mother clasps her baby to her breast, “I will save you!” The businessman reports, “My accounts are in order. I am safe.” The harlot coos to her lover, “Will you save me?” The proud man brags, “I can save myself.”

Father God, apart from Your divine intervention, all perish in their sin. Who can save the sinner from Your just wrath? Who can justify himself? How can the sinner feign innocence in the light of Your glory and holiness? How can one sinner redeem the life of another?

Praise be to Your glorious grace that You did not abandon those whom You created for Your glory to bear Your Holy Name! You are mighty to save! You promised redemption and restoration for Your people. Who could have ever imagined that You would send Your own eternal Son into the world in the form of sinful man to die in the place of sinners? How can selfish, sinful creatures comprehend such grace?

Jesus, the Messiah, prophesied of old, King of kings and Lord of lords, came in the flesh to seek and save sinners, such as I. Even before I fully comprehended the depths of my own depravity, He sought and saved me. How faithful You are to have awakened my soul to respond in faith to the Gospel of Your Beloved Son! What extravagant grace You freely give to all who hear and believe in Jesus, Your Son, our Savior and Lord.

Father, You are the Giver of every good and perfect gift. You have clothed me in Christ. Jesus has imputed to me His own perfect righteousness. You have justified me by Your grace through faith alone in Jesus. You have delivered me from judgment and spared me from Your wrath that is being poured upon the world. By the Spirit's power, You have raised me up in Christ.

Who am I to be clothed in the majestic robe of Your Son’s perfect righteousness? Who am I that Your Spirit dwells within me, guaranteeing an eternal inheritance that I do not deserve? Who am I to know the love that You have poured into my heart through the Holy Spirit? Who am I to know the blissful peace and joy of communion with You? Who am I that You hear my cries and comfort me with such tender love and compassion, assuring me of Your eternal grace and promise of glory.

Father, everything I have is only what I have received by Your glorious grace and the grace of Christ. Through Jesus, I simply give you thanks, Father. May You find delight in my heart’s wonder at the treasure of knowing You as I abide in Jesus and He in me. And may my delight in You lead to greater glimpses of Your glory by the Spirit's power. I love You. And I rejoice in the promise of Your eternal love and eternal life in Christ. And it is in the Name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment