Wednesday, August 27, 2014

John 20:17 Jesus said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.


John 20:17 Jesus  said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to  My brethren and say to them, ‘I  ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18  Mary Magdalene  came,  announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.

When Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene at the tomb early on the first day of the week after His resurrection, why does He tell Mary, “Stop clinging to Me”?

“…for I have not yet ascended to the Father…” (John 20:17).

What does Jesus tell Mary to do and say?

“but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and my God and your God'” (John 20:17).
  •       How had Jesus prepared His disciples for His appearing and for His ascension to the Father?
o  John 7:33 Jesus then said,  “I will be with you a little longer, and then I am going to him who sent me.
o  John 14:19  Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but  you will see me.  Because I live, you also will live.
o  John 16:16    “A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me.” 17 So some of his disciples said to one another, “What is this that he says to us,  ‘A little while, and you will not see me, and again a little while, and you will see me’; and,  ‘because I am going to the Father’?”  18 So they were saying, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’?  We do not know what he is talking about.”  19  Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, so he said to them, “Is this what you are asking yourselves, what I meant by saying, ‘A little while and you will not see me, and again a little while and you will see me’?
o  Acts 1:3  He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.

What does Mary Magdalene announce to the disciples?

“Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, ‘I have seen the Lord,’ and that He had said these things to her” (John 20:18).

Father,
We like sheep all went astray. Each one of us turned to our own way. But You caused the iniquity of us all to fall upon Yeshua, Who died for our sins. By His wounds, we are healed.

Yeshua willingly died in our place, and He Himself became the sacrifice for our sin. How utterly profound that Yeshua became so identified with us that He bore our sin and died. Your steadfast love, profound grace, and terrifying holiness are revealed through both the offering of Your Beloved Son for our sin and through the glory of His resurrection from the dead.

Reconciled to You in peace and love through the cross of Christ, we rejoice. Dead to sin and alive to You in Christ, we rejoice.  In blessed hope and everlasting peace, we rejoice. Glory and thanks to You for Your indescribable gift. In Yeshua’s Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment