Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Revelation 10:8-11 Transition from Trumpets to Bowls: The Little Book


Rev. 10:8   Then the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, “Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land.”  9 So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he  said to me, “Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey.”  10 I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter.  11 And they  said to me, “You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings.”

Prayer and Bible Expo
After the angel who stands on the sea and land swears, what does John hear? (10:8)
the voice, which he had heard from heaven, again speaking with him

From where does the voice speak? (10:8)
from heaven

What had this voice previously told John to do? (10:4)
“Seal up the things which the seven peals of thunder have spoken and do not write them.”

What does the voice tell John to do now? (10:8)
“Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land” (10:8).

In response to the voice from heaven, what does John do? (10:9)
“So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book . . .” (10:9).

What does the angel tell John to do with the little book? (10:9)
“Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey” (10:9).

What happens to John after he takes the little book out of the angel’s hand? (10:10)
(cf. Psa. 119:103; Jer. 15:16; Ezek. 3:1-3; Heb 6:5)
“I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter” (10:10).
Ø  Psa. 119:103  How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Ø  Jer. 15:16    Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.
Ø  Ezek. 3:1   Then He said to me, “Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel.”  2 So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll.  3 He said to me, “Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you.” Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.
Ø  Heb. 6:5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

Concerning what must John prophesy again? (10:11)
“You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings” (10:11).

What impresses you about Rev 10:8-11?
The little book seems to represent the Word of God, which is as sweet as honey in the mouths of those who receive them, yet the judgment contained in the book makes the prophet’s stomach bitter.

What do you learn about God from Rev 10:8-11?
God’s Word comes from heaven, placed in the mouths of God’s prophets, and His Word results in sweet delight to believers and bitter judgment to scoffers.

How could this truth transform your life?
Delight in God’s Word, will, and ways, fully yielding to the Spirit in humble submission.

Father,
Your Word is good and endures forever. In Your Word, You reveal both blessing and judgment. Blessing is received through reading, hearing, and heeding Your Word. Judgment is for those who scoff, made bitter through unbelief, cursed with eternal condemnation for rejection of the Word of God, Your Son, the way, the truth, the life.

All Scripture was breathed by You and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. May You raise up faithful stewards who will wield Your Word, the sword of the Spirit, with alacrity, accuracy, authority, tenacity, and integrity.

Your Word is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. May Your people who taste Your Word today know that it is good. Your Word is the Sword of the Spirit. May You raise up servants to pray at all times in the Spirit, on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints.

Jesus is the Living Word of God, the embodiment of truth and life, the light of men. Jesus is the way and the truth, and the life; no one comes to You but through Jesus. Jesus is the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Jesus will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Jesus will never die. May sinners respond to Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, Who died on the cross for the forgiveness of sin and Whom You raised from the dead on the third day, with conviction and commitment. May all who respond to Your Word with belief in Your Son be sanctified by faith in Him.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment